At 75 degrees and sunny, I couldn’t resist some alone time with nature. I decided I’d go for a refreshing walk in the woods at Cowles Bog near Indiana Dunes to get some exercise while enjoying all the beauty that nature has to offer. However, it being one of a handful of days this year that the temperature hiked above 70, everyone else had the same idea. It took a quarter of an hour to extricate my car from the overcrowded lot and hit the road back the way I’d come.
Nevertheless, I was determined to have a fantastic time outside even if hiking was off the table. Back at home I formulated a new plan and new outfit for a spectacular romantic afternoon out with myself. I left my apartment soon after, looking fabulous in a floral print blue wrap dress paired with my favorite gold gladiators and a jean jacket. A quick stop downtown for a cupcake at Designer Desserts and then I was off in search of the perfect outdoor reading nook. Parking was insane at all of my usual spots so I ended up lounging on the shaded lawn at VU. Given current closures, the campus was nearly deserted but for the occasional jogger or dog walker. Here, I feasted on my dark chocolate raspberry delight and dove into a new story, The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal. Messiest cupcake ever! But in my experience, the best things in life usually are. Of course I forgot to bring napkins and felt a bit like a six year old plunging head first into their favorite birthday cake but, as my own date for the day, no one was judging.
If you’re going slowly insane in the solitude of your home, I highly recommend getting dressed up for a romantic day with you. After all, you’re a hot date! A few tips I picked up from my afternoon out on the town:
- Go early (or late) – Try to plan a little ahead to avoid high traffic times.
- Have a pen and paper handy – You never know when inspiration will strike.
- Don’t forget sunscreen (and other outdoor essentials) – You don’t want to wake up tomorrow and realize that you’ve been crispy fried.
- Don’t skimp on the sandwich – If a romantic picnic is the goal go all in with your favorite picnic grub paired with a nice bottle of red. Treat yourself.
- ALWAYS bring extra napkins!
What’s your ideal solo day out? Share your ideas and stories below.